Research Supervisor (Population Development), Ibadan
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the worlds leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable Nigerian for the position below at the Institute’s headquarters in Ibadan.
Job Title: Research Supervisor (Population Development)
Ref: IITA-HR- NRS2017-017B
Recruitment Type: National (3-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Support International Trials Manager and scientist of the Yam breeding unit in developing new populations of yam by controlled bi-parental crosses, semi-controlled polycrosses and open-pollinated seeds;
- Perform experiments to improve crossing success, minimize labour requirements, and identify critical factors affecting flowering, seed set, and seed viability;
- Develop protocols to synchronize flowering, store pollen, and extend storage of botanical seeds;
- Co-ordinate planting of crossing blocks with disease-free tubers, management using protocols to maximize flowering, harvesting of fruit at maturity, and extraction of botanical seeds
- Collect, collate and summarize field, screen house and lab data using electronic devices and data management software to prepare reports, monitor multiplication rates, and maintain accurate inventories;
- Liaise with other units to do pathogen and pest testing and to obtain phytosanitary certificates for botanical seeds to be distributed to partners;
- Evaluate flowering and seed set of clones tested within the Yam breeding unit and assist with adoption of irrigation.
- Prepare weekly plan for screen house/field workers and technicians in consultation with the International trials manager, the Research Associate and other research supervisors in the unit;
- Supervise and coordinate the implementation of the weekly plan for Research Technicians and field/screen house assistants;
- Prepare protocols for germination of seeds; transplanting of seedlings in screen house or field; planting and maintenance of crossing blocks, pollinations, fruit harvest, and seed extraction; and supervise the implementation of these protocols;
- Supervise and maintain data records and accurate inventories of botanical seeds stored in well-labelled containers, plants in screen house, seedling and parent tubers in yam barn, and field plots;
- Manage and evaluate seedling and first clonal generation in field or screen houses for critical traits;
- Ensure screen houses are well-maintained, seedlings are grown under optimum conditions to produce tubers or vine-cuttings and diseases/pests controlled;
- Maintain working areas for Yam breeding unit in clean and organized manner;
- Prepare and implement quality standards and continuous improvement of protocols in the unit;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- HND/B.Sc in Plant Breeding, Agronomy, Plant Genetics or related discipline with At least two (2) years’ relevant experience performing similar role.
Ideal Candidate must have:
- Applied knowledge in plant propagation, crop breeding and genetics, plant pathology, post-harvest storage, and screen house nursery / field trial management.
- Excellent knowledge of data management software programs.
- Demonstrated success in working in multi-disciplinary projects. Excellent communication and inter-personal skills and ability to multi-task effectively.
- Proactive, innovative and creative attitudes and ability to learn new skills quickly.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
31st March, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, the application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.